Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Best Apple Cake in the Whole World - Really!

We've had a lot of fun watching the ladybugs on our apple trees, this summer. So much fun, in fact, we almost missed the apples ripening in the background.

There's no denying fall is in the air. And, you'd really think so, if you could smell the wonderful, apple and cinnamon aroma wafting from my kitchen, right now, thanks to an old Martha Stewart recipe, I found on a 2009 post from The Cookie Shop, entitled, "The Best Apple Cake of the Whole World".

With a title like that, and the promise of a melt in your mouth taste of autumnal goodness, who could resist?

I had barely pulled the bread, and overflow muffins, from the oven, when the Man of the House, was drawn to the kitchen to try one. I was on the phone at the time, and only half paying attention as he asked if it was okay to eat one of the muffins. By the time I was off the phone, he'd eaten two, and was slicing into the bread.

"I don't know what this is," he said. "But, it's going to take all my will power to leave any for the children. I know what we're having for dinner tonight!"

I don't want to keep you waiting, while I ask for permission to reprint the recipe, so I'll just send you by link to Martha Stewart's. Even for a summer lover like myself, this cake is enough to make me happy to say - welcome fall!

It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

Kylie said...

and it looks divine too :-)

Marcee said...

OK, I don't know what's up with this, I was TOTALLY thinking about making an apple cake for this weekend when my family is coming up and we're going to spend the weekend at Wallowa Lake. Thanks Leah, now I don't have to look for one! I'll substitue half of the flour with whole wheat and probably cut the sugar in half, since we'll probably serve ice cream with it.

Christy Killoran said...

Oh yum, I'll have to make this!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Marcee - Whole wheat flour, and half the sugar!?! That can't be right.

Debbie said...

That looks so yummy! It really makes me miss the other side of the State where we had all the fruit orchards. I think this is the one time of year I can honestly admit I miss living over there. Fruit is a little harder to come by here in bulk anyway.

Unknown said...

Please excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard... ;0)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This looks great! Love high praise from your husband!

Ticia said...

My husband would love this. Oh wait, I can print this off to take up for my MIL this week, perfect!

Jackie Higgins said...

oh, I'm so ready for fall! I just want to bake this right now and smell it... oh, and eat it too... but I'll probably just pin it for now! :)