Thursday, September 24, 2009

Harvest Time - stART


For our stART (story + art) project today, we read Harvest Time by Mercer Mayer. Since it is a "First Readers" book, and contains a nice list of story related words to learn, we decided to recreate the list with sugar cookie letters.

But first, because we wanted to make this an art project, we divided up the dough, and added some fall colors. We used cocoa for brown, and then used some red and yellow food coloring to make the rest of our colors. We also added in some fall flavors - a bit of maple syrup, and sprinkles of cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.




Then we mixed the different colored, and flavored doughs together, and rolled them out. This made a really pretty marbled sort of dough, from which we cut the letters for the our vocabulary words.


The more we mixed, and rerolled the dough, the more the colors mixed together, until finally, we had a solid, sort of cranberry color.


We baked the letters, and a few leaf shaped cookies, and hopefully this afternoon, we'll practice vocabulary, and then have a snack. I sampled a leaf, just to make sure the flavors worked together, and I think I have a new favorite fall cookie - yum!


Be sure to check out the other stART projects for the week, at A Mommy's Adventures.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

7 comments:

Susana said...

WOW! Can we come to your house for your next stART?! This is so fun.

I LOVE all that you did!

Ticia said...

What a yummy craft. I haven't made letters out of cookies yet. Someday, I have the cookie cutters.

April said...

Great idea! I have been wanting to buy some letter cookie cutters, I've seen them everywhere, but I'm waiting to see if I can find some lowercase ones as well.

Debbie said...

What a yummy idea! Now I am hungry for cookies.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

That's a tasty way to learn your words :) We like Little Critters stories here too. To answer your question about our colored water project - no, she would fill her dropper with a colored water and then share "the medicine" with different animals :)

Michelle said...

This is such a great project...I love art and baking!!! Thank you for linking up :0)

felicia said...

I totally forgot about those little books!!!!
They were my very favorite to read to myself when I was a kid!