Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Felt Fall Leaf Hair Bands


I had some fun this week copycatting the felt hairbands from HipGirlie.com , that were featured on One Pretty Thing. I simplified the project a little, and gave it a fall feel, by using leaf patterns, I free handed on paper.

For each hairband, I cut six leaves out different colors of felt, two per leaf shape.

I stitched the matching leaves together, for the side leaves, starting and stopping the stitches, where the knots would be hidden by the overlapping leaves in the middle.

Then I stitched together the middle leaves, stitching through all four layers of felt, where the middle leaf overlapped the side leaves.


Finally, I sewed the back of the middle leaf to the hairband with a number of stitches, by slipping the needle between the front and back layers of felt, as I stitched.

Felt is a lot of fun to work with, it's so forgiving, even my sloppy stitches looked cute. And, the small size of the project, made it possible to complete four, one for each of the girls, in one sitting, mixing up the colors, and patterns, so each of the girls' was similar, but different - just like they are.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

1 comment:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Those look awesome! I love how you redid the idea for fall. The shot with everyone together is so pretty. Great job you guys!